The Risks of Hiring an Unlicensed Electrician
20 August 2023
The Risks of Hiring an Unlicensed Electrician
When it comes to electrical work in your home or business, cutting corners can lead to dire consequences. Hiring an unlicensed electrician might seem like a cost-saving measure, but the risks far outweigh any potential benefits. Electrical systems are complex and potentially dangerous, and entrusting them to someone without proper credentials can lead to safety hazards, legal issues, and financial losses. In this PERL Electrical blog, we’ll delve into the significant risks associated with hiring an unlicensed electrician and why it’s essential to prioritise safety and professionalism.
- Safety Concerns: Electrical work involves high levels of voltage and intricate systems that, if mishandled, can result in life-threatening situations. Licensed electricians undergo rigorous training and education to understand the intricacies of electrical systems, safety protocols, and best practices. Unlicensed electricians lack this level of training and may not be equipped to handle unforeseen complications, leading to dangerous accidents, electrical fires, or electrocution.
- Inadequate Knowledge and Skills: Licensed electricians are required to demonstrate their expertise by passing exams and meeting industry standards. Unlicensed individuals might not possess the necessary knowledge to diagnose problems accurately, leading to incorrect repairs or installations. Poorly executed electrical work can lead to frequent outages, increased energy bills, or damage to your appliances and devices.
- Legal Consequences: Electrical work in New Zealand is regulated by local and national building codes, and performing such work without a proper license is often illegal. Hiring an unlicensed electrician could expose you to legal liabilities, fines, and the potential need to undo or redo the work to meet code requirements. Additionally, insurance companies may not cover damages resulting from work done by unlicensed individuals, leaving you responsible for any accidents or property damage that occur.
- Lack of Insurance Coverage: Licensed electricians typically carry liability insurance to protect both themselves and their clients from potential mishaps during a job. This coverage helps ensure that any accidents, injuries, or property damage resulting from their work are financially addressed. Unlicensed electricians are unlikely to have such insurance, leaving you vulnerable to significant financial losses if something goes wrong.
- Unreliable Workmanship: Licensed electricians are bound by a code of ethics and professional standards. They are more likely to provide quality work, adhere to deadlines, and offer warranties on their services. In contrast, unlicensed electricians might lack accountability and could disappear after a job is completed, leaving you with no recourse if issues arise later.
- Potential for Cost Escalation: While hiring an unlicensed electrician may seem cheaper upfront, it often leads to higher costs in the long run. Inadequate or improper repairs can result in recurring problems, requiring additional repairs or even complete replacements. These unexpected expenses can far surpass the initial cost savings of hiring an unlicensed individual.
The risks of hiring an unlicensed electrician far outweigh any potential benefits. When it comes to electrical work, safety, expertise, and legal compliance should always be your top priorities. Hiring a licensed and insured electrician ensures that the job is done correctly, adhering to industry standards and codes, while minimising the potential for accidents and costly mistakes. It’s an investment in the safety and well-being of your property and those who inhabit it.
PERL Electrical electricians are fully licensed and registered while also under go regular training to ensure they always are performing at the highest level of knowledge, skill and safety standards available.
ant to check if your electrician is fully licienced Find Electrical Workers | Kete (mbie.govt.nz)
IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ONE OF OUR PERL ELECTRICIANS ABOUT ANY ASPECT OF OUR ELECTRICAL SERVICES PLEASE DON’T HESITATE TO CALL YOUR LOCAL PERL ELECTRICAL BUSINESS BELOW
Kumeu, Rodney, Hibiscus Coast/ Dairy Flat – Christo (AUCK) 028 249 9513
West Auckland, Waitakere, Central Auckland and Upper Harbour – Navi (AUCK) 021 044 0510
West Auckland & Upper Harbour Electricians I PERL Electrical Waitakere and Upper Harbour
North Shore, CBD, Hibiscus & Dairy Flat – Dillon (AUCK) 027 542 8603
Electricians North Shore – Birkenhead I Local Electricians I PERL Electrical PERL Electrical North Shore – Birkenhead
East Auckland, Central Auckland, South Auckland, Franklin, Pukekohe – Aaron (AUCK) 021 298 1756
Electricians Papakura Local Electricians I PERL Electrical PERL Electrical Papakura
Canterbury and Christchurch – Adrian (CHCH) 021 106 2172
Tauranga, Mt Maunganui, Waihi, Rotorua and Eastern BOP – Peter 027 698 0777
Whangarei – Andrew 027 6160433 Whangarei District Electricians PERL Electrical Whangarei and Ruakaka
Wellington, Nelson, Motueka, West Coast – Andrew (National Support Office) 0800 GET PERL